Saturday, October 02, 2004

gandhi

hey it's Mahatma Gandhi's B'Day today. People worship him. People hate him. That's why I like him.
In my younger days I too used to hate him. Accusing him of murder of all those who died in the many movements organized by him. I thought we could win our freedom by an armed rebellion like Americans. Now though I think we won it in the best way possible. Satyagrah appealed to people like no other philosophy could. Without mass involvement gaining freedom would have remained a dream. It was simply not feasible to arm everyone and put up a fight against the mighty British Empire. The only person who could partially succeed in it was of course Subhash Chandra Bose. A great leader. But he was simply allied to the wrong poeple. Sometimes I imagine if Japan/Germany had imerged as winners in WWII. We'd've thrown Britons out and Japs in. We'd be fighting another freedom struggle.
SO all in all putting up an armed fight against UK was not possible without any external help and as I said it'd have been like getting one dictator in place of another. Therefore we were lucky to have found a leader like Gandhi to show us the right way at the right time.

No comments: